Musician Visas

Visas for musicians and the proper management of an individual’s work authorization is crucial for musicians, DJs, and bands as well as for concert and live event operators. As a result, the Law Office of Justin M. Jacobson, Esq. provides world-class musician visa and work authorization legal services. The firm assists in securing music visas for touring musicians, artists, DJs, bands, and any accompanying talent managers, tour managers, photographers, videographers, and any other musician touring personnel. We also help obtain and renew visas for musicians and other necessary work authorizations for artists, bands, and DJs.

Specifically, any non-U.S. citizen attempting to earn a wage in the United States must obtain proper work authorization in the form of a musician visa, including whenever a non-U.S. citizen musician or DJ receives a performance fee for playing at a live club or music festival appearance as well as when participating in a paid public appearance or sponsorship obligation. This requirement mandates that musicians, DJs, and bands receive a music visa or other work permit from the U.S.C.I.S. to enable them to work and earn income in the United States. As a result, musician visas are reviewed on a case-by-case basis as the details and requirements for an applicable visa differ for every individual and company. Therefore, it is prudent to timely investigate and plan for any upcoming live shows, club appearances, or music festival performances.

More information on visas for artists, DJs, musicians, and bands can be found below.

What is music and entertainment law?

Music law and entertainment law are similar to other talent-focused legal areas as they encompass a variety of different legal fields that relate to assisting individuals and businesses that operate in the music, motion picture, television, and other entertainment industries.

Music law incorporates many distinct legal fields including intellectual property law including right of publicity and associated “name, image, and likeness” (NIL) rights, music trademarks, copyrights, and the licensing of IP, music contract law, business law, immigration law including obtaining musician visas, employment and labor law, tax law, and digital communications and internet law, such as social media paid endorsement disclosures.

An entertainment and music attorney works with individuals and companies in the music, film, and TV spaces such as musicians, songwriters, producers, remixers, engineers, DJs, bands, screenwriters, directors, and other musical, motion picture, television, and entertainment talent. These professionals might also assist a record label, a music publisher, a concert production company, a movie studio, or any other company or individual who works with any of these parties such as a merchandise company, a fantasy sports platform, an NFT or digital collectible company, a live music festival, or even a digital content distribution, production, streaming, or broadcast entity.

How much does it generally cost for a musician visa?

The prices and costs associated with securing or renewing a musician visa varies based on the individual and the time requirements. As a result, any interested party should promptly schedule a consultation to explore potential costs and available options for a musician visa for a touring or performing artist, musician, band, DJ, or other related touring personnel.

Why are visas important in music?

Musician visas for talent, musicians, DJs, producers, remixers, and other non-U.S. citizens are required to enter the United States for a business or other commercial purpose, including to earn a salary for performing as a DJ at a nightclub or when receiving payment for playing music in a concert or festival. Without appropriate work authorization in the form of a musician visa, an artist, DJ, or band may not be permitted to enter the United States. As a result, music attorneys might assist in the music visa process, including the preparation, filing, and renewal of musician visa petitions on behalf of musical talent, booking agents, talent managers, and event and festival organizers, including for musical performers, dancers, vocalists, broadcast and radio talent, discjockeys, producers, and other music and entertainment management personnel.